[Ambassadors] FAMSCO trac hidden for ambassadors (was Re: Yesterdays EMEA Ambassadors Meeting)

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 29 15:32:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:10, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 28.01.2010, 07:20 +0100 schrieb Joerg Simon:
>> During the yesterdays EMEA Ambassadors Meeting there was the request to open
>> up the trac instance:
>>
>> > 20:20:58 <cwickert> one point where communication is really broken is
>> FAMSCO's trac instance not being public for ambassadors
>> > 20:21:23 <cwickert> I mean, we get the FAMSCO meeting logs and the links to
>> trac, but we cannot read the tickets
>> > 20:21:29 * inode0 agrees with that
>> > 20:21:36 <cwickert> this is a bad joke, not even FESCOs trac is hidden
>> > 20:24:00 <kital> cwickert: fesco has not to deal with money and sentiments
>> along with money

Regarding that, I think most bad feelings about the way money is spent
often come from a lack of openness. If you don't know what's
happening, you can only imagine the worst.

We already know that the budget is distributed in a way that is as
fair and transparent as possible, Max always makes public reports of
how much money is given to a particular region or event (which is
great, really).

Given that, like Gerold and Christoph, I also think that there can't
be any issue with money.

>> > 20:25:22 <GeroldKa> afaik is "money" always a open point to everyone
>>
>> we need a place where we can deal with money details, like paypal, bank
>> account data, scans of receipts, personal private things like shipping
>> adresses and times
>
> Let's go through this list one by one:
>      * Money details: As GeroldKa already pointed out, budget details
>        are open to all ambassadors.
>      * Paypal: Given the fact that the name of a PayPal account is no
>        critical information and that PayPal is often used for donating
>        money, I don't think this is really confidential.
>      * Bank account data is confidential for sure, and IMO this doesn't
>        belong into trac at all.

Bank account is not necessarily private, at least not here. I could
give you my RIB (the official document from my bank on which my bank
account is written), you wouldn't be able to do anything with it
without my consent (at least that's how it works in France).

>      * Scans of receipts: Without knowing details I cannot judge if
>        this is really private information. I guess this
>      * Shipping addresses and times: Addresses are private, but IMO
>        times are not.
>
> So IMO the information is not private, or it is so confidential that it
> shouldn't even be in trac. Confidential information can still be
> exchanged via email, FAMSCO is only a small number of people.

In your list, the only information that I think is private are the
personal shipping address. But to me, the reason why it should not
appear in Trac is that it can change, especially for younger people
who tend to move a lot (going to university, then moving to another
city for a job, then changing appartment when they start earning a
little more money,...). So even if you let aside the privacy concerns,
it doesn't really make a lot of sense to be archiving it in Trac.

> Last but not least: How many tickets are affected? I guess it is very a
> small percentage and the large majority is info that concerns all
> ambassadors.

The problem is that if you want to open it now, you'd have to read
*all* tickets to see if there are some personal data that need to be
removed. So you can't count the number of tickets affected, you have
to count the total number of tickets.

Anyway, consider that as a huge +1 for opening the FAmSCo Trac. Having
the links to tickets in reports but being unable to read them is
frustrating, especially if you're directly concerned by the ticket.
And think about it as a way for us of the plebs to get to know better
what FAmSCo is doing :)

Best regards,