[Ambassadors] Helping UP Institute of Chemistry

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sun Jul 11 09:11:45 UTC 2010

Moving this conversation to the ambassadors list.

For context (original thread below): The Filipino Ambassadors, want to
pitch in, Fedora-style, on an event being held to rebuild the University
of the Philippines's chemistry lab (which burnt down). Herson
Pagcaliwagan, Engels Antonio, and Magie Antonio can likely provide more
context.

The idea is to print media for a Chemistry Remix and distribute it at
the event to spread the word about FOSS and whatnot while hopefully
giving the students/profs/supporters there some useful tools (they lost
all their computers/software in the fire as well). There is a booth fee,
but it's not clear yet how much it is. (My response to Herson's question
of "how much should we look at giving?" is "What's the minimum amount to
get a booth?")

This is on the Events page (thanks to Herson) under "rakCHEMrol" - see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events#FY11_Q2_.28June_2010_-_August_2010.29_4.
Estimated attendance is 2000, it's at a major prestigious technical
university in a major city in the Philippines that doesn't yet have much
of a FOSS presence.

Questions:

* Has anyone done an event like this before? I'm actually excited about
this since it's a non-FOSS event that may get people who otherwise
wouldn't be aware of FOSS, introduced to Fedora - this isn't preaching
to the choir at all - but it's also something I haven't really seen done
before, so pointers on making sure we don't go off-topic/off-focus, and
tips on doing this effectively, would be *incredibly* welcome.

* Because of the specialized audience, the media distributed will be a
Chemistry-focused Remix rather than the standard F13 image.
** Is this okay?
** How can we make sure people get pointed to Fedora as an upstream, and
are aware that this is a specialized version of our main "product" (or
is this even important)?

* Can you think of anything that's missing? Thoughts so far:
** Have local Ambassadors there
** Come up with a rocket pitch for Fedora/FOSS for this particular
audience (help! Herson, Engels, Magie... what do we have so far on this?)
** Producing media (chemistry remix)
** Pay fee to get a booth table, so we have a space to stand and hand
out stuff from
** Print a one-page flyer with our rocket pitch

* Any other thoughts?

--Mel