[Ambassadors] Media discount = sponsoring?

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:49:13 UTC 2010

2010/7/30 Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com>

> On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 12:42 +0200, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > On 07/30/2010 12:16 PM, Jukka Palander wrote:
> > > Hmmm.
> > >
> > > Adding commercial logos into the Fedora site is bit dangerous!
> > >
> > > At least have to be careful in these:
> > >
> > > 1) not to give an idea that Fedora has anything to do with commercial
> > > products/companies
> > >
> > > 2) must be clearly mentioned, that they are sponsors only (for a
> > > particular section) and does not have any other involvement to the
> > > Fedora or its development
> > >
> > > 3) must be aware who the sponsors are and do they fit into the "Fedora
> > > world"
> >
> > You do realize we already have some sponsors for infrastructure and we
> > already display their logos on our main page, right?
> >

> Yes, I am not against sponsors. Just wanted to remind those issues.
>
> We'll never know if we have a (wanna-be) sponsor who we do not want to
> be displayed in the official F-site. For those situations it is good
> that it's been discussed.
> As I mentioned in section 3 -> "must be aware who they are"! --> and
> then make the decision!
>
> ..or are you happy to take some big money from them to Fedora and then
> find out that the so called sponsor is somehow bad for us (like
> XXX-site, malware or spamming site etc)?
>
> Also, there is always risk that the "sponsor" starts telling us what to
> do because they've paid the money! ..be aware -they have to be sponsors
> and clearly sponsors only!
>
> This issue has nothing to do with the current sponsors though, but still
> I think it is very easy to give an picture that they have something
> deeper to do with Fedora and therefore I would "think first and act
> afterwards".
>
> --
> Jukka

I think that BEFORE telling about if the sponsor is good or bad, we have to
tlak about the Discount... is it going to be an important one?
Something that we can say: "Ok, it's worth the risk" or not, because we can
accept or decline offers as a community but the important thing
in here is to be awared of the REAL benefit that we can get from here to the
Project.

By example if it is going to be a very little discount and most of the
community thinks it's risky
to accept a sponsor, then, Why accept the Sponsor? Let's talk about numbers,
and then we can make a whole investigation about the PROS and CONS of a
sponsorship.

That's just my opinion.

--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052
@GWave: jmlevick at googlewave.com
@Blogger: http://www.blogxenode.tk/ (Xenode Systems Blog)
PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31  1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6