[Ambassadors] OSCON booth questions and ideas

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 02:42:56 UTC 2010

Kevin et al:

OK, maybe my questions really are, "Can I do these things?  How would
this work?  Anyone want to help with it?"

Idea:

  During open floor hours at OSCON (when conf attendees can go out to
  walk around), schedule a series of short informative talks at the
  Fedora booth.

  Following a regular rhythm (:00, :20, :40?) people give short (4 to
  7 minute) talks on topics related to the Fedora Project community.
  This is followed by Q&A and discussion until the next time period.

  We can get this on the various RSS and mblog feeds (#oscon, etc.),
  clear signs, and other things that occur as we are there.

  We can recruit talkers from the Teaching Open Source community.

With some publicity and clear signs, this will draw people to the
booth throughout that time.  If a talk and follow-up is short, that's
OK, people will mingle, and in a few minutes another starts.  The
frequency can be dialed up or down depending on how many talkers we
get. :)

This started in my mind because I want myself or Mel to give a short
info talk on POSSE[1] at least once every hour.  There will be other
people at OSCON involved in the Teaching Open Source community, and I
would like to see some of them come give talks, too.

In fact, we may be able to fill out a good portion of our slots with
people talking about open source in education.  I think that the
mission and close relationship of the Teaching Open Source community
and education in general are close enough to Fedora Project that I
feel safe in making this request and idea to the Fedora Ambassadors
running and attending this event.

What say ye?

- Karsten

[1] http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE