[Ambassadors] FYI Fedora 12 one page release notes. :)

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Sat Mar 27 17:58:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 13:37 -0400, Neville A. Cross wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
> >
> > It's nicely done, though on "Help make Fedora" I strongly disagree with
> > the image presented as it clear shows signs of "Ghetto culture". You
> > shouldn't address an international community displaying such symbols.
> > Every time that Communication hits International Communities or
> > Minorities, it should be reviewed carefully at cultural level.
> >
> > Just my 2 cents...
> >
> > nm
> >

> I looked for the wiki and found that at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes
> Can you elaborate? Seriuosly.
> Because as I am part of the international community, I am too far off
> to identify what you mean by Ghetto Culture in that picture. I really
> don't get your point, and I think is worth exploring.
> For me one thumb up is good. Extending thumb and little finger is a
> surfer sing, people have told me it means a wish for good waves to
> ride on.
>
> Best regards

 I am not aware of this there someone from Hungary in this list, if so,
could he please explain the meaning of "thumb's up" or "ok" or that
gesture you do while hitch hiking? How is it interpreted in Hungary?
 For mainly the rest of the world it is seen as "OK", while there has a
very different meaning. That is one example on things can go wrong.

 On the Marketing Industry even the great companies fail many times on
easy things, a couple of examples:

 - Mazda MR2 > Say it in French.
 - Citroen Picasso > What does Picasso means in Brazil?
 - Nike tried to swap their logo to flames, what happened? How did the
Mouslin communities interpreted it?
 - The problems with phonetics of Coca Cola in China?

 What I pointed in the photo is the meaning of the gesture from the lad
on the right side, often associated (many times) with rappers OG's
(Original Gangsters). That title is only granted to people who have
performed murderers/assassinations. Of course it has other meanings in
other groups, usually minorities, like surfers, rockers, etc. Though
this might be a polemical debate, and maybe some exaggerated fanaticism
towards some cultural movements, it can still be interpreted in a very
negative way.

 -- my 2 cents that might not be relevant.

--
Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt>