[Ambassadors] FYI Fedora 12 one page release notes. :)

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Sat Mar 27 18:33:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 14:21 -0400, Neville A. Cross wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Pierre-Yves <pingou at pingoured.fr> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 17:58 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
> >>
> >>  What I pointed in the photo is the meaning of the gesture from the
> >> lad
> >> on the right side, often associated (many times) with rappers OG's
> >> (Original Gangsters). That title is only granted to people who have
> >> performed murderers/assassinations. Of course it has other meanings in
> >> other groups, usually minorities, like surfers, rockers, etc. Though
> >> this might be a polemical debate, and maybe some exaggerated
> >> fanaticism
> >> towards some cultural movements, it can still be interpreted in a very
> >> negative way.
> > Isn't it the 'Index + little finger' ?
> > In the picture the lad  on the right side has his Thumb + little finger
> > up, which to a french person refers more to the symbol of the telephone
> > (As if he was asking the phone number of the photograph).
> >
> > my 0.2 cents,
> >
> > Pierre
>
> I can relate to gestures that Locally (in Nicaragua) can be rude but
> in other country (Brazil) can be a sing for good luck. Pierre is right
> "Call me" should be a more broad accepted interpretation. Then it may
> be also something with context.
> I think is good to be aware that differences do exits. This case I
> don't find particularly bad. But I should be considered to be wrong
> until proven otherwise.

That gesture as a name: "Horns High", and it's also known as:

* Devil's Horns.
* Sign of the Horns.
* Voor
* Horned Hand
* Hook n'Horns
* Karnana Mudra

It's origins: Ancient Greece.

Aknowledged interpretations/usages:

* The sign of Voor @ Necronomicon
* Satanic Salutes
* Symbol of Infidelity in several cultures worldwide
* Hinduism and Buddhism context: represents dispelling evil, a warding.
* Plus many others depending on context and local interpretations.

It is a documented symbol. Search the internet, there's a whole load of
symbol dictionaries / urban dictionaries, etc regarding this symbol. So
it's pretty much easy to really get an accurate view of it's meanings.

I rest my case now. This is in the field of "behavior psychology" and
"anthropology", in which my knowledge/resources are very limited.

nelson.

--
Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt>