[Ambassadors] Marketing flyers

Jukka Palander jukka at devspain.com
Mon Mar 29 08:10:39 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-28 at 18:26 +0300, Pierros Papadeas wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Jukka Palander <jukka at devspain.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Great job. It is important to have those flyers, but I have just one
> > more thing to put in consideration here.
> >
> > Why don't we say more clearly that Fedora is alternative to Windows or
> > Mac OS?
>
> We would be engaged in a trademark obligation "state the trademark
> owners" and IMHO the last thing we want to do in a Fedora Flyer is to
> mention Apple Inc and Mircosoft

You have to say those words out loud anyway when you talk with people
how does not know what Fedora is!

Or do we start talking politically correct nonsense like: "Fedora is
alternative to those other quite popular operating systems, you know
what i mean 'wink'"...

> > People might get bit confused if we just say it is an operating system
> > based on Linux. There are a huge group of people out there who does not
> > understand what is an operating system. They know Windows and they may
> > know Mac or Linux (as one system), but they are not familiar with Fedora
> > brand/"trade-mark".
> >
> > I think we should say more clearly the whole thing. Like:
> >
> > "Fedora Linux OS" or "Linux Fedora OS".
>
> Fedora IS an operating system with not "Linux Fedora"or something else...
>
> We are based on GNU/Linux kernel and technologies so we need not to
> confuse someone with Linux OS  Fedora Linux and such things...

Here we go wrong! Nobody is interested of technical details and kernels
in user level. As I said before, people generally know what Windows is.
Quite many knows what Mac is and somebody may have even heard something
like Ubuntu. Anyhow, for most of the people it is the same thing
Ubuntu=Linux and (when we explain what Fedora is) Fedora=Linux.

> > Also I think we should say everywhere that it is _free_ alternative to
> > Windows and OSX. I think this is the only way to get Fedora more known
> > within "ordinary" and "non-tech" people.
>
> One correction, it is the "free and open source" alternative of
> *whatever* . Stating simply *free* is wrong (technically, ethically,
> confusingly etc...)

That's right. But now you have to explain people what open source is and
what it means!

Guys, keep things simple. It is much easier to sell the Fedora idea
forward if we say things more clearly and rip out all technical
nonsense. Instead use those words what people are already familiar with
(like word "Linux"). That is the only way to push your message through.

--
Jukka