[Ambassadors] FYI Fedora 12 one page release notes. :)

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 30 22:04:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 22:42 +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> And it does exist as a verb, but since I'm not an expert in foreign
> grammar. I'll pass the debate.
> Well, doesn't matter if you agree or not, just search google images on
> O.G.'s and such and you will find it.

I'm not sure how Google Images is a better authority than Wikipedia,
which you criticized earlier.

> That wasn't exactly what I had in mind... neither it should probably be
> used in that way. I know GNOME is having a rough time having artistic
> contributions, as Fedora most likely could use some more artists. That
> probably would help you in that way, to get a more accurate perspective
> of factors that would lead more people to join our project. See it as a
> qualitative approach and not quantitative.

I'm sorry, but it seems I am not understanding you clearly here - can
you explain then why you propose to set up survey software? What exactly
would you survey about, and who would you survey?

> > If an Italian in Germany makes a hang loose sign though....
>
> It was pointed in the "Vatican" context.

Huh?

>  But I'm pretty sure that if a
> Buddhist displays a swastika in germany, he might get problems, while a
> swastika is a 4000 year old symbol for Buddhists and represents exactly
> the oppose that any german would see it.

And used in a Buddhist context, not interpreted out-of-context, it is
probably fine.

> It's a common thing on building logos and stuff. For instance the Fedora
> "blue" would be a great color for Portugal, as it is the blue of the
> Monarchy and the blue of "Our Lady of Conception", Queen of Portugal. So
> would be a win. While a purple would probably send us to the "mourning"
> stuff.
> Either if we explore it or not, doesn't matter, but it has it's
> relevance and has scientific basis and a whole lot of studies to back it
> up.

This just doesn't seem useful to me, sorry.

> > Criticizing the photo of Samuele as being offensive specifically does
> > not set a good tone.
>
> I have not critized the photo, neither the person. I've criticized the
> usage of such content that can be harmful in a "flagship" communication.
> It's a first approach for possible new users, those things should be a
> bit more thinked of.

Yes you did. You said the photo could be interpreted as supporting
Satan. That's a critique for sure.

> Like no one interpreted Nike flame logo... when it reached middle east,
> it was chaos and havoc, while in the Western world was seen as a nice
> logo with lots of studies backing it up. Eventually it went wrong.

I doubt anyone would interpret Samuele's photo that way, sorry.

> No one can assure that people will be mindful of it. Though we should
> try to not to commit them.

Being mindful only gets you so far. I think many of us are fairly
mindful of such things.

> > No, not at all. Rather, I feel like you're ruminating on an unsolvable
> > problem without providing any solutions to solve it -
>
> seems a bit ironical. Not nice. We have always to believe in the
> possibility of the impossible to happen.

Curing cancer? Sure, go for it. This? The cost/benefit here is really
out of whack.

> > Why worry about it if it's not a
> > problem? It's really quite a stretch of the imagination to be offended
> > by a picture of three happy guys laughing, wearing Fedora shirts, in the
> > context of Fedora release notes, with no indications whatsoever of
> > anything having to do with Satan.
>
> The horns are usually associated with Satan worlwide.

I'm sorry but I associate actual horns with farm animals, not Satan. For
someone proporting to provide a cross-culturallys-ensitive view, harping
on a highly improbably Satanic connotation is really biased towards the
Judeo-Christian worldview. In China alone, by various estimates there
are 1 billion non-Christian people, so please don't tell me Satans are
associated with Satan worldwide. If you want to talk in a data-centric
manner, then don't make statements that cannot be backed by data.

> I know it isn't promoting Satanism. But I also know that some people
> might took advantage of it to launch an attack. That is a part of
> Marketing, preveting that a brand might be hurt by something out of
> context or wrongly interpreted. Anyone can actually verify this easilly
> if they contact the AMA (American Marketing Association). It's just a
> simple email, they will backup most things I said.

If people want to launch an attack, they will launch an attack. They'll
find a way.

> "Those who can't remember the past are condemned to repeat it" -
> Alexandre Dumas
>
>  Though it's a nice quote, I getting the feeling it doesn't fit.
>  On a personal level I would like to consider that we are both working
> towards the same goal and not opposite.

I'm done with this thread. Cheers

~m