[Ambassadors] A word about F...acebook

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Thu May 6 08:42:51 UTC 2010

On 06/05/10 01:42, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 01:24:06PM -0500, Juan M. Rodriguez wrote:
>>    2010/5/5 Adam Miller <[1]maxamillion at fedoraproject.org>
>>
>>      I've stopped wearing my Fedora baseball cap I bought from brandfuel
>>      stores because of a similar situation. I had 5 people within a time
>>      frame of only a couple hours ask me why I had a Facebook hat on. Sad
>>      times.
>>
>>      -AdamM (from Android )
>>
>>    I used to carry a backpack with a Fedora sticker on it. Ended up pasting
>>    that sticker on my desktop after constant "Oh sweet, where'd you get that
>>    Facebook sticker" questions, so I know how you feel.
>
> I can only respond that:
>
> (1) Our logo came first, so nyah-nyah-nyah.
>
> (2) Facebook probably has as many attorneys as Red Hat, so going after
>     them wouldn't get us much other than a big invoice.
>
> (3) I don't think they look that much alike.
>
> (4) Now that some of the friends in our communities actually have
>     permanent Fedora tattoos *on their bodies*, it's very unlikely
>     we'll consider changing just because someone else has an "f" logo.
>

> This post is entirely humorous in nature, except for the last point
> maybe.[1] Carry on, you fine ladies and gents!
>

> * * *
> [1] Because seriously, barring a catastrophe we're not going to change
> our branding. :-)

I say, Red Hat buys Facebook and we change its name to Acebook, then Red
Hat sells facebook again, after we also stole some of their infra stuff,
for Fedora use.

(This is an entirely sarcastic post).

Seriously, I also think, the more the merrier. If people ask about the
Fedora logo, you can argue and say, well, you don't pay for facebook do
you ? And you value privacy in Facebook, don't you ? So why not use a
free, secure, reliable OS to full fill your secure
computation/communication needs.

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefor no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org