[Ambassadors] New regional Ambassador Mentors

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Mon Nov 8 13:22:14 UTC 2010

Dear Christoph,

>> It's not only about you, Robert and Mathieu stated the same. And it's
>> not specially about me, others asked to mentor, too.
>>
>> It's more about communication. Clear guidelines and statements would
>> improve that a lot.
>
> I didn't say something when this topic came up two weeks ago, but now I
> feel like I need to add my two cents here:
>
> I'm happy with *not* having clear guidelines. Why?
>
> Clear rules will lead to the false assumption that as soon as one has
> done this or that he is qualified to become a mentor. But mentoring has
> much to do with soft skills like responsibility, helpfulness and
> knowledge of human nature. These cannot be judged by formalized rules.
> How many events does a nominee need to attend? 5, 10, 20? As you see
> strict rules will lead us nowhere.

Just to repeat it: It's not about adding complexity but transparency.
If the guidelines are: "show effort, be active in the community and
then ask to become a mentor and FAmSCo (or any other approval team)
will decide if you will be elected" then it's fine. But telling ppl.
you are not going to be a mentor because we do not need more mentors
atm (or any other reason), and then electing someone else shortly
afterwards is quite worse. This could be avoided if it's clear how
many ppl are needed for one region.

--
Greets
Marcus