[Ambassadors] Going passive

Matthias Kranz matthiaskranz at gmx.de
Tue Nov 9 12:19:57 UTC 2010

On 11/09/2010 12:45 PM, Jonathan Wagener wrote:

Hi Jonathan.

> I completely agree with you. The work that is done on the Fedora
> project is used to profit another company. So in a sense they have
> found a wonderful way to make a fortune out of a free workforce.

Sorry, typically I try to stay out of these kind of discussions but
since I am not only a Fedora Ambassador but also working for Red Hat, I
need to dig further into these kind of claims.

Jonathan, do you know how many people work for Red Hat these days?
Do you know how many of these are full-time Fedora or Open Source
Community contributors? With this I mean people who are paid by Red Hat
for dedicating their work time on projects instead of direct end
customer facing work?

Working for Red Hat for quite a long time now I can say that Red Hat
really cares about giving back to the community as much as a company
can.

Therefore I am really interested in your arguments. Please share so that
we can discuss and perhaps even improve the areas of your concerns.

> But who do you work for in that case?

Cheers,
Matthias