[Ambassadors] Going passive

Gerold gerold at lugd.org
Tue Nov 9 12:31:45 UTC 2010

> On 11/09/2010 12:23 PM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
>> Dear Fedorians,
>
> Sascha.
>
>> as I feel frustration about my work in Fedora and I do not agree with
>> todays Fedora governance and ruling system I am hereby taking the
>> logical step of stopping all my active contributions to this project.
>
> Fedora's "governance and ruling system" was mostly developed based on a
> community-driven process. It was initiated by Red Hat, yes, but in the
> meantime, the Fedora community is further developing its rules and
> policies.
>
>> One major point is that I feel exploited by RedHats installation of
>> the Fedora Project and I do not feel it is ok to contribute for a
>> companys benefit that is not equal to its project investment.
>
> I wrote similar questions to Jonathan but do you know how much Red Hat
> spends for Fedora? Of course, it will become quite difficult to come up
> with a mathematical equation but I wonder if anyone of use is really
> able to oversee all the investment done by Red Hat.
>
> Fedora is free to use for everybody. For individual people as well as
> commercial organizations. Nobody restricts the usage of Fedora. Red Hat
> only takes care of certain trademarks and maybe in some cases of
> copyrighted material. According to trademark laws Red Hat is enforced to
> do it. Otherwise Red Hat would obviously risk to loose the trademark
> rights.
>
> I have the feeling that you are frustrated because other members of the
> community do not agree with your ideas or the way you are trying to
> deploy them. This is how a community works. If you are not able to
> convince people then you either have to accept it or you need find a
> compromise. Stepping back is like running away. It might be seen by
> others as if you were never interested in contributing to the project
> but instead were using the project just for your personal development.
> Don't get me wrong, contributing to an open source project *and*
> personally benefitting from it is not wrong at all. But at the same not
> accepting that other people might disagree with you is a contradiction
> then.
>
>> Thats why I am saying goodbye, with the following sentence;
>> "Microsoft is the evil we know. Novell and Oracle is the evil we got
>> to know and Canonical and RedHat is the evil we will get to know."
>
> Sorry, but how can Software companies, companies who employ hundreds of
> thousands of people be "evil"? I mean, if you really completely question
> the world in economic and political regards then of course, you might
> see Fedora and Red Hat as being evil. But then you should stop working,
> wasting your time by using evil computer, powered by evil hardware,
> powered by evil energy.
>
>> The duties I am leaving open and which will be impacting are;
>>
>> - EMEA media production (F14 still open?)
>> - Dual layer DVD approach
>> - some packages

> [...]
@ Matthias, +1!!

@ Sascha,
have a look into the past few month (not a year) ...
There were Ambassadors frustrated about a process inside Fedora, the
announced there resign ...
Now?!
They are ruuning for Board and Steering Comitee ...
As Matthias said (between the lines), think again about your goals, your
target audience and maybe start again with new elan :-)
Friendly yours
Gerold