[Ambassadors] Going passive

Antonakoglou Konstantinos anton.cost at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 15:43:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com>wrote:

>  On Tuesday, November 09, 2010 02:35:22 pm Adam Miller wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 12:20:02PM +0100, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
>
> > > Dear Fedorians,
>

> > > as I feel frustration about my work in Fedora and I do not agree with
>
> > > todays Fedora governance and ruling system I am hereby taking the
>
> > > logical step of stopping all my active contributions to this project.
>
> > > One major point is that I feel exploited by RedHats installation of
>
> > > the Fedora Project and I do not feel it is ok to contribute for a
>
> > > companys benefit that is not equal to its project investment.
>

> > > Thats why I am saying goodbye, with the following sentence;
>
> > > "Microsoft is the evil we know. Novell and Oracle is the evil we got
>
> > > to know and Canonical and RedHat is the evil we will get to know."
>

> > While I respect your wishes and desires to move on in life, I have to
>
> > object to your statements about "Red Hat's installation of the Fedora
>
> > Project and I do not feel it is ok to contribute for a companys benefit
>
> > that is not equal to its project investment."
>

> > Red Hat employs many Fedora contributors in order to contribute
>
> > specifically to Fedora and that should be encouraged, not scoffed at. Red
>
> > Hat also funds almost 100% of the infrastructure that allows those of us
>
> > who contribute to contribute as well as their funding for all the
>
> > ambassador efforts and many many other bits throughout the Fedora scape.
>

> > I think the qualms that Red Hat is getting "something for nothing" isn't
>
> > accurate of Red Hat but is in fact true of many companies that use open
>
> > source in any way/shape/form for profit, but the difference is that Red
>
> > Hat actually takes action and contributes back to the open source
>
> > community in both code and content contribution as well as monetary
>
> > funding, and for that reason I am happy to stand by their efforts and
>
> > defend their name as an outsider of their organization and as a Fedora
>
> > contributor.
>

> I bet you can estimate how many holes I can make in your line of reasoning,
> and for the sake of argument, I won't. However, based on many, many
> incidents that -each by themselves- mean absolutely nothing, or may not seem
> to have all that much consequence, but together do indicate a larger
> problem, you can see where a certain perspective just doesn't meet another
> perspective. Once you realize that, more things become clearly visible.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen

+1 for Jeroen

Dear Sascha,

It's obvious that if you really believe what you say, this [1] (a big hole
in the line of reasoning), will ruin the open source world you say we can/do
live in. It's the kernel. What next, quit Linux? Of course not! :)

Anyway, I don't believe that you really believe what you say. But I know you
understand your sayings. I hope you reconsider how you face the particular
problem(s) that has/have occurred to you. I think the Fedora community has
shown that correct statement of thoughts is always welcome and valuable.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/395961/

--
Konstantinos Antonakoglou
PGP key: 0xC9E2E16B