[Ambassadors] Red Hat's investments (was Re: Going passive)

Matthias Kranz matthiaskranz at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 17:20:48 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 05:57 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 10.11.2010, 17:48 +0100 schrieb Matthias Kranz:
>> On 11/10/2010 05:10 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> My point was: The amount of work from the community is continuously
>>> rising, the investments by Red Hat - ether by money or manpower -
>>> are not.
>>
>> Could you please put a little more flesh to this last statement?
>
> I think I underlined the statement with 20 examples and I'd appreciate
> you comment on them.

Oh, I did not get the direct relation of the 20 examples and your claim
about Red Hat not investing into Fedora, sorry.

> I'm sorry, I cannot give you numbers as Red Hat does not publish them.

Right. That is why saying that Red Hat does not invest more into Fedora
than two years or four years ago is what? A wild guess?

> For the manpower know that 2 of 4 regions no longer have a paid Fedora
> community architect.

Red Hat at the same time hired dozens of new engineers, working in
development and quality assurance, thus pushing Fedora as a leading
Linux distribution. Which by the way differentiates Red Hat from other
community distribution "sponsors".

I am not saying that I personally would not wish having full-time Fedora
Community Architects in other regions as well. For sure I would love to
see more people paid for just taking care of community stuff. But we
should also not forget that fighting for such kind of job in terms of
realizing a budget for it, is not the easiest job either. Because
translating the value of that work is quite difficult. Maybe comparable
to making an argument about why it is so important to invest in
marketing. It is just (more) difficult to measure.

Matthias