[Ambassadors] FYI "Fedora ranking pulled ahead of Ubuntu"

Jukka Palander jukka at devspain.com
Thu Nov 18 14:56:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 04:33 -0600, Xavier Naldo wrote:
> I HIGHLY DISAGREE Greg.
>
> Fedora is NOT poor cousin to RedHat or Ubuntu...ITs a mighty Distro in
> its own right and would not fall to any other!! It has been #2 in the
> rankings of distrowatch for a very long time...that MEANS something is
> good with Fedora that keeps it up there....hmmm...maybe if one can
> research the FEATURES of it.

+1 Xavier!

I see Fedora more or less as a:

-father of RHEL (due the Fedora's upstream philosophy)
-father of ScientificLinux etc. (due they are normally based of Fedora
or RHEL)

In the question of being in the top of the list, it really varies
monthly according when different distributions have their release.

Anyhow, it is interesting what I have locally seen happening.
This year I have installed roughly some +70% of Fedora and -30% of
Ubuntu. (maybe 1 or 2 some other)... OK well, I have been _pushing_
Fedora out more than Ubuntu, so there we see the result. Thing is that
people generally do know Ubuntu better, but when you start talking about
Fedora and its advantages, it is quite easy to get people on "Fedora
side".

Main point being that we should be able to live with all Linux based
distributions and remember that all Linux distros spread throughout the
world are helping us to get it (=Linux based systems) more and more used
and it will also help Fedora to be known and used more and more.

Xavi: >"something is good with Fedora that keeps it up there" is the
fact that Fedora is _THE_ one which is normally _FIRST IN THE WORLD_
with its features! That's the reason we are _UPSTREAM_!

--
Jukka