[Ambassadors] Issue raised at 2nd FAmSCo townhall

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:04:32 UTC 2010

2010/11/22 Joerg Simon <jsimon at fedoraproject.org>:
> Am 21.11.2010 02:00, schrieb Neville A. Cross:
>> Today I was asked once more off list how to achieve that mentor status.
>
> the "status ..." thing troubles me all the time ;)

I wanted to reply to this too. I think of it as nothing more than a
task required to help smoothly transition new ambassadors into our
group and to be a filter of last resort. How many people need to be
available to do this is purely a function of regional needs which will
vary over time.

There are also two sorts of mentors. The kind we are talking about
here often isn't really what people generally think it is. To be a
"mentor" for the Fedora Project every contributor can just do it. Help
people get involved, help them get their bearings, help them find
areas of interest and learn how to effectively contribute in those
areas.

The sort we are talking about here is more about being a filter to
membership in the Ambassador group. It can involve the other notion of
mentoring too in some cases. Being a mentor to the project at large
should be more respected and something we all aspire to - and there is
nothing preventing any of us from being that kind of mentor.

> To make it a more clear statement for People who do not know that
> becoming a mentor, is nothing where you can apply for, i hope i pointed
> it out more clear on the "Find a Mentors Page"
>
> "Mentors are a group of people - selected, proposed and appointed by
> people - not by a leveling system - based on trust (and a lot of soft
> facts), Prospective mentors are nominated by existing Mentors and
> confirmed by FAmSCo!"

If you want to be a mentor for the Ambassador group, be a good
ambassador and if asked volunteer to help when needed. One great way
to prepare is to be a good mentor for the project as a whole.

John