[Ambassadors] 1 Desktop spins DVD vs. 4 Desktop spins CDs ?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:06:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 6:59 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 02.10.2010, 11:51 +0200 schrieb Mathieu Bridon:
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 11:34 +0200, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
>> > Hello friends,
>> >
>> > I just wanted to know about your opinion, if we should consider
>> > replacing the current 4 CDs of Desktop spins media production with the
>> > 1 DVD which contains all 4 spins?
>> > Maybe even with F14 ?
>>
>> I think ambassadors (and more generally people) can generally produce
>> whatever media they see fit.
>
> I don't think so. Whatever we distribute needs to be an official "Fedora
> product", and this decision needs to be mutually by all involved
> parties: The Spins SIG, Rel-eng and the board (hope I didn't forget
> somebody).

While I think it would be better if it were an official Fedora
product, and I think it is a great idea, I don't think ambassadors
need to get approval to do something reasonable. We have distributed
re-spins in the past and I don't think anyone has viewed that as a
problem as long as it is clear to recipients what they are getting.

>> Now if your question is « should the official spin become a DVD with the
>> 4 main desktops ? », then you are on the wrong list to discuss this.
>
> +1. Once the media is ratified by all other groups, we should seriously
> consider to ship it. I really like the idea but we cannot decide this on
> our own.

I am having a difficult time seeing this happen though. Let's see what
they say but rather than going into it looking to get permission let's
go into it looking for guidance in making our decision.

John