[Ambassadors] EMEA Media, All desktop spins on one disc, All full install DVDs on one disc

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Oct 13 13:07:43 UTC 2010

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 12:17 +0200, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> > Dear freedorians,
> >
> > we were researching the technical possibility of putting more then
> > one
> > live cd on one disc.
>
> clip, clip...
>
> OK. I understand that we are still keeping old live CDs and
> Installation
> DVDs in place. Anyhow my thoughts are that:
>
> 1) dual layer discs are expensive
> 2) dual layer discs are much more unreliable
> 3) dual layer discs does not work on every DVD-reader (especially old
> computers)
> 4) dual layer discs are slower to read
>
> This leads me into the question that:
>
> 1) Do we (Fedora) get "bad-will" from it when people feel that;
> -it is so big to download
> -it is not working on my computer after (a long) download
> -disk is damaged too easily etc.
> -it is so huge package (others are much smaller)
>
> 2) How does this affect to Freemedia project?
> -do we contributors have to buy those much more expensive discs to
> burn
> and send freemedia?
> -how are we sure people really understand that it is probably not
> working in all computers (especially in developing areas where
> freemedia
> requests are in place the most)
> -does this make it more difficult to spread out Fedora media by
> volunteers who are not inside the Fedora-project? ->people who are
> friends of someone and who wants a media and then they find is so big
> (and media expensive) that they leave it in there... ????
> -mobile broadband users start requesting more Freemedia because the
> package is so big and therefore we are receiving more requests from
> places we thing everyone have a proper fast wired broadband!
>
> I do not know. My quick opinion is that maybe we should make what the
> demand is and at least for me it is to be able to hand out an
> installation DVD which is working for both i686 and 64bit (because
> people do not know which one they are using) but only have Gnome.
>
> Does this kind of compilation fit into the one normal single layer
> DVD?
>
> Requests for other desktops (KDE and XCFE) are quite small, but this
> is
> my opinion only based on the queries I have received.
>
> --
> Jukka

Pardon me for joining this conversation late... and I've not been very active nor involved in media distribution... BUT I do make my own Fedora Remix and it contains basically all of the desktop environments that are included in the stock Fedora repos... along with quite a few apps and third-party media related packages.  Anyhoo... I just wanted to mention that my remix easily fits on a single DVD.  In fact, it'll fit on a 2GB USB thumbdrive as livemedia.

So to answer your question, not only can it fit all of the desktop environments and a healthy set of apps on a single DVD, it ends up being about half the size of the current install DVD.

However my remix does not contain much in the way development tools... but that isn't important for most users to start with.  If they decide to do an install from the live media, they can always install the development tools after the fact.  I've been meaning to expand the package set to include devel tools and have a 4GB DVD but so far as live images go, I think they are limited by the filesize max of the FAT filesystem (2GB)... if you want to make live media out of them... but I'm not positive.

Did that answer your question?

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle