[Ambassadors] EMEA Media, All desktop spins on one disc, All full install DVDs on one disc

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:32:17 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2010, 14:54 +0200 schrieb Jukka Palander:
> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 12:17 +0200, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> > Dear freedorians,
> >
> > we were researching the technical possibility of putting more then one
> > live cd on one disc.
>
> clip, clip...
>
> OK. I understand that we are still keeping old live CDs and Installation
> DVDs in place. Anyhow my thoughts are that:
>
> 1) dual layer discs are expensive

Not for us in production. One dual layer DVD can replace different CDs,
thus we save money.

> 2) dual layer discs are much more unreliable

I hear that for the first time.

> 3) dual layer discs does not work on every DVD-reader (especially old
> computers)

If someone really has a DVD drive that cannot do dual layer, it is
likely that his machine will not run Fedora anyway. We already have high
hardware requirements. I'm not saying they are good, I just say that I
doubt we are excluding more people from using Fedora.

> 4) dual layer discs are slower to read

According to the media company, but nobody has seen numbers.

> 1) Do we (Fedora) get "bad-will" from it when people feel that;
>  -it is so big to download
>  -it is not working on my computer after (a long) download
>  -disk is damaged too easily etc.

Who says they are more susceptible?

>  -it is so huge package (others are much smaller)

We are not talking about media for download here, we are talking about
physical media. If the files are available for download too, they are
just an additional offer but not a replacement for other images.

> 2) How does this affect to Freemedia project?

Not at all. We are not talking about free media here, these media are
for marketing purposes only. They are distributed by ambassadors on
events, but not through the free media program.

> I do not know. My quick opinion is that maybe we should make what the
> demand is

What is the demand? It's hard to predict that before an event. One
problem we are facing ATM is that we have media left all over Europe,
but one only has Gnome while somebody else has KDE.

Same goes for i386 vs. x86_64. The audience on events differs a lot,
e.g. in Fosdem people asked for 64bit live media all the time (which we
did not produce), on CLT everybody wanted 32bit.

> and at least for me it is to be able to hand out an
> installation DVD which is working for both i686 and 64bit (because
> people do not know which one they are using) but only have Gnome.
>
> Does this kind of compilation fit into the one normal single layer DVD?

If we only do one desktop, say GNOME, it's definitely possible to get
everything on one single layer DVD. If not, we will have to leave out
some packages that are now on the install DVD. So in the end we might
end up with something that is like the GNOME spin and has no advantage
over the current images.

> Requests for other desktops (KDE and XCFE) are quite small, but this is
> my opinion only based on the queries I have received.

Indeed, but this is a corner case where we could save a lot of money
with the multi desktop live DVD because the small batches (Xfce, LXDE,
Moblin) are expensive to produce.

Regards,
Christoph