[Ambassadors] EMEA Media, All desktop spins on one disc, All full install DVDs on one disc

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer sspreitzer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 13 14:41:53 UTC 2010

Hello Jukka,

> OK. I understand that we are still keeping old live CDs and Installation
> DVDs in place. Anyhow my thoughts are that:
>
> 1) dual layer discs are expensive

The dual layer is with the mass production leverage we will have, be
arround one thousand Euro cheaper.

> 2) dual layer discs are much more unreliable

Do we have evidence for that? We are speaking about pressed media, not
about self-burned once.
They will be as reliable as every movie DVD which you can buy in your
local movie store.

> 3) dual layer discs does not work on every DVD-reader (especially old
> computers)

Every DVD player that can read movie DVDs is able to boot and run a
Fedora dual layer disc then.
Because they're of the same type (DVD-9
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD#Dual-layer_recording ).

> 4) dual layer discs are slower to read

Do we have evidence for that? Until now it just has been a rumour and
we need evidences about the read speed.
Actually it can be that this rumour is just a rumour and the read
speed is the same as with normal DVDs.

> This leads me into the question that:
>
> 1) Do we (Fedora) get "bad-will" from it when people feel that;
>  -it is so big to download
>  -it is not working on my computer after (a long) download
>  -disk is damaged too easily etc.
>  -it is so huge package (others are much smaller)

Again, this is speaking about pressed and professional physical media.
We can have an upcoming dual-layer release still in addition to the
todays CDs and DVDs.

> 2) How does this affect to Freemedia project?
>  -do we contributors have to buy those much more expensive discs to burn
> and send freemedia?

- NO! This is absolutely unrelated to the Freemedia group/sub-project
-- It is the official media we give away for free on events.

>  -how are we sure people really understand that it is probably not
> working in all computers (especially in developing areas where freemedia
> requests are in place the most)

Again not freemedia related....

>  -does this make it more difficult to spread out Fedora media by
> volunteers who are not inside the Fedora-project? ->people who are
> friends of someone and who wants a media and then they find is so big
> (and media expensive) that they leave it in there... ????

- We have so many ways and options to install Fedora.
---> live, netinstall, CD, DVD

[..]

My opinion is, we enable people for contributing.
We aim to be a fast paced and being first project. Our targeting
userbase are people who mostly know the differences between 32bit and
64bit operating systems.
If not, we advise them to use the 32bit option. I don't feel this a
problem at all.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / with kind regards,
Sascha Thomas Spreitzer

http://spreitzer.name/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sspreitzer

Warum mache ich überhaupt dieses ganze OpenSource Zeugs?
Lesen Sie hier, warum;
http://de.windows7sins.org/