[Ambassadors] EMEA Media, All desktop spins on one disc, All full install DVDs on one disc

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 15:28:14 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 09:40:39PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 13.10.2010, 15:30 -0400 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 12:17:49PM +0200, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
> > > Dear freedorians,
> > >
> > > we were researching the technical possibility of putting more then one
> > > live cd on one disc.
> > > The proof of concept succeded with these F13 compilations:
> > > http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/
> > >
> > > Zoltan Hoppar and the media company in Munich came up with the idea to
> > > use dual layered DVD discs, which will allow us to store arround 8.5
> > > GB of data.
> > > This is where we are a looking now at the following proposed future
> > > Fedora compilations:
> > >
> > > - All desktop spins and related archs on one disc. ( Gnome, KDE, LXDE,
> > > XFCE, Moblin - i686, x86_64 - arround 7GB ) PoC succeded. Tested and
> > > working.
> > > - All installer data and related arch on one disc. ( Full Fedora -
> > > i686, x86_64 - arround 6.5GB ) PoC needed! Blocked due to anaconda
> > > installer options and data paths/devices ( stage2 / repo ).
> > >
> > > I requested a pricing quote from the media company in Munich for the
> > > upper scenario,
> > > the result is ~1,000.00 EUR cost savings while producing the same
> > > amount of media ( 5,000 pcs ).
> > > http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/mediaquotes/F14/quote_121010_DE.pdf
> > >
> > > (We could even produce 10,000 pcs while staying in the budget for EMEA.)
> > >
> > > My questions are:
> > > - Can we solve the blocker on anaconda for the installer compilation?
> > > - Should we start this approach by F14?
> > >
> > > - By looking at F15, could we strip a "choose
> > > live-desktop/arch/install" all-in-one dual layer disc?
> > >

> > > Thoughts on hardware compatability:
> > > By comment of the media company in Munich: Dual layer DVDs are not
> > > compatible to all dvd players. But to most of them.
> > > ( Every DVD player who can play a movie DVD is likely compatible. )
> > > In my humble opinion this is not a blocker for Fedora, which is about
> > > being first and rapid releasing near to cutting edge.
> >
> > As we pursue and conquer the technical problems,
>
> What technical problems? For the install media we cannot fix them in F14
> and for the live media there are none, the proof of concept works and
> has been tested by many people already.

You can read that as "zero or more issues of a technical nature," I
wasn't implying anything else. :-)

> > we should also make
> > sure to raise the trademark issue with the Board and ensure that
> > they're supportive.
>
> Why would that be needed if all spins on the media already have been
> granted the trademark?

I don't understand how the images are put together.  If they're ISO's
connected by some sort of thin glue, perhaps everyone agrees nothing
is needed.  I just think it would be wise to make sure everyone
agrees, since I hadn't seen that discussion.

> > I may have missed that discussion, and if so I
> > apologize profusely and would love it if someone would send me a link,
> > so I can cure my ignorance! :-)
>
> You haven't missed much, only
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2010-October/015642.html
> That discussion does not deal with the trademark though.

Thanks!