[Ambassadors] Formal request for approval of the multi-desktop DVD (Re: Board meeting recap, 2010 10-18)
duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 19 02:24:58 UTC 2010
On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 02:10 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> * It needs to be tested. The prototype is available for three
> weeks now at http://sspreitzer.fedorapeople.org/torrents/ -
> please test!
> We will make an F14 dual layer version once live images of TC2
> are available.
Three weeks this coming Thursday. It's still Monday here.
You mentioned on IRC that some testing has already been done; is there
any wiki page with the results or any other testing data available?
Some questions with my UX designer cap on:
- For the dual layer, how do you intend to help users understand which
side is which? (I'm guessing one side of the dual-layer is 32-bit, the
- Does the manufacturer have a way of labeling the full center plastic
ring or is it only just a narrow strip as with the SUSE discs?
- If only a thin plastic ring is available, do you have any idea from
the manufacturer on the character length limits of the label and a draft
of what you would have it say for each side? How about character length
limits for a wider center label?
- Are these going to be provided in a printed sleeve? If so, do you have
any mockups/designs/copy for the sleeve?
- What style sleeve - cardboard pocket or one with a plastic ring?
It seems since it would be printed dual-layer, it would be difficult to
provide a good label for the disc making the sleeve design even more
critical for identifying the disc and instructing users on how to use
> * The (one and only) desktop (TM) must not be referred to as the
> "GNOME". We are not, please look at
> GNOME is called "Fedora 14 Live" just like the ISO and is the
> default selection. The only reference to the name GNOME is on
> the filesystem. We will change this if it makes you happy.
I have a few concerns about the design of this menu:
- Does every item need to mention Fedora 13?
- Can the entire disk be verified with a single menu item?
- Could the names for each of the desktop items be a bit more
friendly and readable?
E.g., rather than this, which I think is a little overwhelming to read:
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live-KDE
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live-LXDE
* Verify and Boot Fedora-13-i686-Live-XFCE
Could it maybe instead read like this, which I think is a bit more approachable:
* Boot Fedora Live
* Boot Fedora Live KDE
* Boot Fedora Live LXDE
* Boot Fedora Live XFCE
* Verify media
> Can we now please get the formal approval for the media? We cannot
> afford to loose another week because we want the media available for the
> F14 release events.
Board members, could we add this to the agenda on Thursday 21 Oct? We
were going to meet at 2 pm to discuss the codenames, right?
Otherwise, it could be added to next Monday's (25 Oct) agenda. I'm not
sure if it's possible to approve a trademark request without quorum, or
over the mailing list? (Can any old-timer board members verify if this
is or is not the case?)
More information about the ambassadors