[Ambassadors] Question: Balkans communities?

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Tue Oct 19 06:10:43 UTC 2010

On 10/19/2010 01:08 AM, Christos Bacharakis wrote:
> 2010/10/18 Gent Tha├ži
>
>     Is there any community that gathers all Balkans ambassadors in any
>     event,place,site etc?
>
>     That would be nice, because that worked with Mozilla and they are
>     doing fine with meetups etc.
>
> Hey Gent(I hope that this is your first name),
> there is not a community meet up or something like that for Balkan
> Ambassadors or contributors and theres is no need to. ;)

I am not really an Ambassador (only half :D ) but I don't see how an
additional meet would not be useful, there are so many contributors in
this area who didn't meet in person so far...

> Additionaly once a year in the EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa) region
> is taking place FUDCon which is a Fedora Users & Developers Conference.

Except that not everyone can travel such long distance for the FUDCon,
from various reasons, travel expenses being the biggest one.

> I can't the need of organizing smaller region-related events because it
> is in our philosophy to have one, big and global community. Additionally
> the costs for a Balkan meet up is really high.
> This is just my opinion :)

I disagree, if it wasn't for the bunker, the costs for participation in
Zurich FUDCon would have been prohibitive for many. In Balkans the costs
have to be a lot lower: cheaper lodging, cheaper food. shorter
travels... it only needs a good, motivated organizer.