[Ambassadors] FAmSCo nominations

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 15:26:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 03:14:37AM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Max Spevack wrote:
>
> > (a) I am still here, just not as much as I used to be, because day to
> > day Fedora stuff is no longer a primary part of my job description
> > like it used to be.  I know that disappoints a number of you, both
> > from a Fedora perspective and a personal perspective.  I hope that
> > people can separate "Max their friend" from "Max the Fedora person
> > with whom they work from time to time".
>
> I really don't want to turn this into a personal thread -- but I'll say
> one more thing here.  I wish that I *did* have more time to spend on
> Fedora.  I wish that I was still more personally active.  But spending
> 100% of my time on Fedora is no longer what Red Hat asks me to do.
>
> What Red Hat asks me to do is to look after a number of communities that
> Red Hat cares about -- Fedora being one of them -- by working to grow
> and lead a Community team that does participate in different parts of
> the larger Fedora Project.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Architecture_goals
>
> As Gerold, Fabian, and Jeroen correctly predicted when we had dinner
> together in Germany 18 months ago and I told them that my changing job
> responsibilities were taking me back to Raleigh from Europe a bit sooner
> than I expected, my *personal* time for Fedora Ambassadors has
> definitely dropped.  I'm not proud of that, but it's the truth, and must
> be acknowledged as such.
>
> For that reason, I will not seek re-election to FAMSCO in 2011.  But I,
> and the team that I am a part of, will continue to make sure that the
> Fedora Project has the funding that it needs (much of which is spent on
> Ambassadors, FUDCons, and FADs).

If I could add just a little bit to this... It's a fact of life that
people move around, and change the ways they work in Fedora.  I'm in
somewhat the same situation as Max.  My new job at Red Hat is going to
be incredibly demanding and limits my time for Fedora.  However, that
doesn't change the fact that I still love Fedora, use it every day,
and will try to pitch in where I can to help my many friends in the
community and make it better.

One of the strengths of Fedora is the way we strive to build scalable
community efforts.  One way to do that is to continually seek out and
cultivate new leaders in the community.  People who get things done,
in an open and transparent way, and with a positive and enthusiastic
attitude of collaboration, are always going to be welcome in the
Fedora Project.  We have so many Ambassadors in the past and present
(and the future!) who embody all these qualities.  We want to
encourage people who show their capabilities in Fedora, and who can
make a solid commitment to lead, to do so.  By encouraging new
leadership we ensure a vibrant and growing community.

I know the current FAmSCo will join us in encouraging people with
enthusiasm, talent, people skills, and the required available time to
put their name in to lead where they feel best suited in Fedora.