[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 16:27:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Marcus Moeller <mail at marcus-moeller.de> wrote:

> Thanks for your brief summary. In general I already know most of the
> parts and why it is as it is, but a decision taking in an open
> community is never good if it demands on personal choices.
>
> So if there are some kind of rules (they do not have to be so
> complicated), election won't be based on the I-(don't)-like-your-nose
> principal. Of course as we all got nice noses it might work in most
> cases, but now always :)

So far mostly I have read why things are like they are.
The topic at hand is how to become a Mentor.
Briefly have been said that it is required to be approved by FAmSCo.

I think that for become a Mentor one have to excel being an
Ambassador. I become a Mentor not because I purposely looked for it,
but because I tried to be as good ambassador as I can be.

A Mentor has to be a very well versed ambassador about the what is
going in Fedora Project. Also has to be a good coach, help people to
get their things right. This requires people skills to be helpful but
not obtrusive, and experience doing things right. So as knowledge and
experience does not come overnight, you need time... how long it
depend in how much you do. But what I consider the catch is that all
this has to be evident, so part of the duties of ambassadors is to
report... you have to be also in reporting activities. This way you
leave evidence of your work, but also you show that you can teach
others this task.

After I have wrote this, I think is kind of the point of how
complicated is to establish guidelines, and procedures to move from
ambassador to mentor. In this sense I view this discussion highly
important.

Probably we need to stablish that mentors are no higher rank
ambassadors, is just another duty, another way to collaborate to the
project. A project that is based on sharing.

I hope this helps Abdel to get a broader picture of the whole mentor thing.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217