[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 23:51:55 UTC 2010

Em Sex, 2010-10-29 às 21:59 +0200, Joerg Simon escreveu:
> There is no need for a lot mentors. We work on improvement for LATAM
> (Brazil) and APAC(China), but Membership Management is not our main
> purpose in Ambassadors. We do not need all to become Mailing List Admins
> or Membership Administrators - we are here to do our job as Ambassador!
> We Ambassadors guide new contributors into the project, is this not what
> a mentor is doing? This is where we should put our energy - again we
> trust every Ambassador with ressources and give them the right to speak
> in the name of the whole Fedora Project - there is no level up above
> that!!!

IMHO the mentoring process as it is established today is a really good
way to drive new ambassadors into the right direction. Nevertheless the
process of selecting new mentors doesn't seem follow the dynamics of our
community. We lack mentors in some regions, the process is too slow.
What actually happens is that new ambassadors recognize more experienced
ambassadors as their mentors, although these ambassadors aren't "formal"
mentors. That happens all the time in regional mailing lists or even
here.

As Neville pointed out, mentors aren't higher rank ambassadors. So we
just need to help who needs to be helped and get the job done. The
process could be improved in some regions taking in consideration our
local diversities and I believe we will get there, we just need to keep
improving things continuously.

Regards,
--
Igor Pires Soares