[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 30 08:47:49 UTC 2010

Am 30.10.2010 09:44, schrieb Marcus Moeller:
> That's true but new Ambassadors are pointed to the listed contacts
> first, and maybe someone else/new wants to be in place here, too.

As the official wording suggests

"Prospective mentors are nominated by existing Mentors and confirmed by
the FAmSCo"

getting "nominated"!!! - i can not read here "want to be in place" this
is a function like the Ambassador Mailing List Administrators - (oh we
need a process for appointment for this as well :S)

A example - from the rulebook side we would assume that a Ambassador
Mentor should have Event Experience (i was convinced on that) - but the
quorum of Mentors nominated one without - so FAmSCo voted for him - and
he is a great mentor as well - from the rulebook he would never made it.

As long as people trust me, i will value personal judgement over rulebooks!

Is this not the reason why we vote for a steering commitees - to elect
people who we trust to protect the interest of the group and that we can
put them in question by not voting for them next time if we think they
are wrong???

> I personally would suggest to define fixed number of slots for mentors

we thought about that as well but this would limit us - if the NA
Ambassadors want to have 30 Mentors they can have them and if EMEA only
needs 2 this is also ok - our Mentors have full freedom and have also
not to follow a rulebook - this is the reason why the process is as it
is. And you can find all around that in public archives. Even the not so
lucky discussions. Where decission are unpopular - but this is part of
the job - sometimes FAmSCo means make your hands dirty!

cu Joerg
--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688