[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Onyeibo Oku twohotis at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 30 08:57:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:05 +0530, "Viji V Nair" <viji at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> Agreed, those are not directly related to fedora. Please understand
> that most of the people using fedora runs "many community stuff" on
> top of it, not only fedora shipped packages. I know many organizations
> chose ubuntu because they ships may apps which fedora does not, eg
> Eucalyptus.
>
> I am here trying to promote fedora with some additional community
> stuff, like PVFS2, reiser4 etc. We are all here to promote FOSS and
> Fedora, I believe.

In a community driven project/product like Fedora, the general interest
or collective voice of the community supersedes any individual member's
standpoint. The community has agreed, in principle, to follow
established streamlined routes towards realizing their various
objectives. If I recall correctly, there is a process for determining
features that will be included & supported per release.  Its only proper
for you to push for the inclusion reiser4 support (and others) in the
release and follow up that processes (that is, if reiser4 etc. are not
propriety software or license encumbered).

That way, you are directly contributing to the project (hence, it
becomes official). Its possible to maintain your packages off fedora as
an extension of service to others outside the community while observing
fedora community ethics.  That is how to serve FOSS community and be
RIGHT!  However, there is no guarantee that your advocacy will always
win ... remember, its a community.  You suggest it, its deliberated on,
its accepted, ... ITS IN!  Anything else, translates to SOLO work and
fedora project doesn't run that way

Be reminded that fedora project is pro freedom! Anything code/software
that is not pure FLOSS/Libre is OUT!  Its also unethical to have a link
to such products from within the fedora website.

--
Oku, Onyeibo
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Twohot