[Ambassadors] How to be a Mentor?

Viji V Nair viji at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 30 14:56:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Onyeibo Oku <twohot at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 14:50 +0530, "Viji V Nair" <viji at fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I wont agree, you are not getting my point properly. I took the
>> reiser4 just as example. If fedora is freedom, we should have the
>> mentality to accept the community stuff built around it. I am not
>> asking to include in the main repository, at least don't ignore the
>> people who does these kind of work and choosing fedora as a platform
>> by simply saying "you are not official"
>>
>> I know that I can push it to rpmfusion, even reiser4 will be in
>> upstream kernel from first quarter of next year (if everything goes
>> fine). It is not only about the file system like this but also with
>> the many community project which fedora is not shipping.
>>
>> As you said it is a "community" stuff and a collective voice of the
>> community. But dont ignore the people who are trying to something, in
>> India please see how many events related to fedora is happening every
>> year.
>>

> 1. I refer to reiser4 because its on your wiki as a feature in your
> customized build.  You said and I quote "Note: These packages are not
> maintained/owned by Red Hat or Fedora. These are my personal community
> builds and comes with absolutely no warranty. Please do not apply this
> directly on a production system without proper testing."  After all that
> disclaimer you had those files hosted on a page looking very
> 'fedora-ish' as though they are authentic/supported files.  THAT IS
> CONFUSING, MISLEADING & WRONG!  Is it so hard to put that in order?
> Maybe you still don't understand.  I'll suggest the following

Sorry, I was not aware that I can't put any other FLOSS work in fedora
wiki! (even if it is beneficial somehow for fedora users). I can't
find any guidelines regarding this in fedoraproject.org also.

Even users like Rahul Sundaram asked me to move the rpm from wiki and
keep it in fedorapeople.org, they never mentioned that I cannot keep
this over there.

> a. create your own website and move those rpms to your site (designed to
> look like its your site)
> b. You can leave a phrase on your profile that leads people to your
> site. e.g. "I'm involved in other pure FLOSS activities, see website"
> c. Consider becoming a fedora package maintainer and tender your
> packages for approval
>
> (what do you know? ... I'm now mentoring)

I may need to wait for six months to get it promoted and approved by
the "mentor" because of the new "rules"

> 2. Fedora Ambassadors respect the contributions of other FLOSS compliant
> people. By asking you to respect community rules they are not ignoring
> you or your contributions in any way. Without protocols there will be
> chaos. They are defining a platform for other members to interact with
> you.

This is not true, we are not expecting any respect, but please don't
insult. Mentors from India is questioning our intention of
contribution, which is an big insult. According to them we are all
doing this just for a "name".