[Ambassadors] Need help with a site

Danny Stieben dmaxel at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 8 12:56:43 UTC 2010

On 9/8/2010 1:59 AM, Juan J. Martínez wrote:
> El mié, 08-09-2010 a las 08:32 +0200, Juan J. Martínez escribió:
>> [...]
>>
>> So you need about $50, using free available services for most of your
>> site. I don't like OMG!U specially, but it may be a good idea a site
>> like this focused on Fedora.
>>

> Sorry, I was wrong: wordpress.com includes DNS management for that $20
> fee (I'm not sure of this amount anyway), and allows you to use gmail as
> mail service for the domain.
>
> So you need to register a domain and map it in wordpress ($17/year if
> you use wodpress to register the domain).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Juanjo
>
> PS: I'm not related to wordpress.com or Google, it's just an example of
> "cheap" solution for blog + domain + mail. I bet there are other
> suitable options as well.

Hmmm, true, if we would use Wordpress then it would probably be cheaper
and more suited for the potential traffic, as we probably wouldn't need
all the flexibility of running a server ourselves.

The GoDaddy idea doesn't sound bad either, but I haven't used zoneedit
yet, just mainly DynDNS.

Also, this came in a little later after I sent this to the mailing list,
but I got a response from duffy (IRC: mizmo) who was really interested
in the idea, but mentioned that there was already a project (called
Fedora Insight) in progress that at least had a similar goal (user-centric).

The wiki page for it is at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight

A mockup is here: http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/c/ce/FooBar.png

How to help: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight#How_to_help

And discussions would be on the logistics mailing list:

Now I'm not quite sure if I want to completely go away from the idea
that I had in favor of Fedora Insight, but at least I know (and you guys
know now too) that it exists.

--
Danny Stieben
Fedora Ambassador