[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

threethirty three at threethirty.us
Mon Sep 13 14:06:48 UTC 2010

I know this is an old discussion, but I have a new example.

At OLF Ben was helping this guy install F13 on this old laptop, so while
it was installing he set up a vm on his macbook and was playing around
with it. As we got to talking I mentioned that he could get help on IRC
and he wanted some help setting that up. Here is where the problem
starts.

I was showing him how to do IRC with irssi, its the only client I really
know how to use well enough to show anyone (I tried xchat but couldnt
remember where everything was) and I think this was just way too much
for him. He was following along perfectly until we had to start the nick
registration.

I don't know if this story is going to change any policy or anyone's
mind on the matter, but I really wish we would change this policy to
make it easier on new (even brand new) users and on ambassadors.

just my $0.02USD

--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador & Marketing Team Member
threethirty at fedoraproject.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Threethirty
threethirty on freenode.net
@threethirty - twitter/identi.ca/jaiku
Phone: +1 (765) 688-0723

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in this email are my own, not those
of any employer (past/present/future).  My opinions are also not necessarily the opinions of
any organization with which I have/had/will have a volunteer affiliation.