[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

Juan M. Rodriguez nushio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 22:44:33 UTC 2010

2010/9/13 Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com>

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM, threethirty <three at threethirty.us> wrote:
>

>> <rant>
>> We should be actively taking down barriers to joining this community not
>> erecting them.
>> </rant>
>

> And how, exactly, is the painfully simple act of registering an IRC
> nickname, taking all of a grand total of 30 seconds (if you type slowly) as
> described in a prior e-mail, a barrier?
>
> Get real, Justin. This is no more a barrier than signing the FAS; in fact,
> it's probably less of one.
>
> Further, there's a reason that unregistered nicks do not get into #fedora,
> but I don't know what it is exactly. Does anyone have any background on
> this?
>
> Larry Cafiero

The reason a lot of channels started the registration barrier is to stop the
number of spambots that suddenly arose on Freenode. Registered spam bots are
easier to mute or ban :)

I'm not sure if spam is still an issue in Freenode, I haven't seen one in
months.

--
Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno
Desarrollador de Sistemas Abiertos