[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Tue Sep 14 01:29:13 UTC 2010

On 13/09/10 23:44, Juan M. Rodriguez wrote:

> 2010/9/13 Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com
> <mailto:larry.cafiero at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM, threethirty <three at threethirty.us
>     <mailto:three at threethirty.us>> wrote:
>

>         <rant>
>         We should be actively taking down barriers to joining this
>         community not
>         erecting them.
>         </rant>
>

>     And how, exactly, is the painfully simple act of registering an IRC
>     nickname, taking all of a grand total of 30 seconds (if you type
>     slowly) as described in a prior e-mail, a barrier?
>
>     Get real, Justin. This is no more a barrier than signing the FAS; in
>     fact, it's probably less of one.
>
>     Further, there's a reason that unregistered nicks do not get into
>     #fedora, but I don't know what it is exactly. Does anyone have any
>     background on this?
>
>     Larry Cafiero
>

>     --
>

> The reason a lot of channels started the registration barrier is to stop
> the number of spambots that suddenly arose on Freenode. Registered spam
> bots are easier to mute or ban :)
>
> I'm not sure if spam is still an issue in Freenode, I haven't seen one
> in months.
>
> --
> Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno
> Desarrollador de Sistemas Abiertos
> Sitio: http://proyectofedora.org/mexico

Also, Freenode's registration process has nothing to do with the Fedora
project, Red Hat or any other FOSS project on freenode. It is up to the
freenode board. Further, I think the registration process keeps a lot of
issues at bay, so as the requirement in the Fedora Project channels, to
be registered.

I have a suggestion to make though. If you believe it is hard for users
to join/register for freenode, why don't you make a few new wiki pages,
with GUI screen shots, to help new users ? IMHO that would be a better
approach to take, we could then link them from the get-help pages.

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org