[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:54:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 02:29:13AM +0100, Tristan Santore wrote:
> On 13/09/10 23:44, Juan M. Rodriguez wrote:
> >

> > 2010/9/13 Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com
> > <mailto:larry.cafiero at gmail.com>>
> >
> >     On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 1:12 PM, threethirty <three at threethirty.us
> >     <mailto:three at threethirty.us>> wrote:
> >

> >         <rant>
> >         We should be actively taking down barriers to joining this
> >         community not
> >         erecting them.
> >         </rant>
> >

> >     And how, exactly, is the painfully simple act of registering an IRC
> >     nickname, taking all of a grand total of 30 seconds (if you type
> >     slowly) as described in a prior e-mail, a barrier?
> >
> >     Get real, Justin. This is no more a barrier than signing the FAS; in
> >     fact, it's probably less of one.
> >
> >     Further, there's a reason that unregistered nicks do not get into
> >     #fedora, but I don't know what it is exactly. Does anyone have any
> >     background on this?
> >
> >     Larry Cafiero
> >

> >     --
> >

> > The reason a lot of channels started the registration barrier is to stop
> > the number of spambots that suddenly arose on Freenode. Registered spam
> > bots are easier to mute or ban :)
> >
> > I'm not sure if spam is still an issue in Freenode, I haven't seen one
> > in months.
> >
> > --
> > Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno
> > Desarrollador de Sistemas Abiertos
> > Sitio: http://proyectofedora.org/mexico
> >

> > --
>
> Also, Freenode's registration process has nothing to do with the Fedora
> project, Red Hat or any other FOSS project on freenode. It is up to the
> freenode board. Further, I think the registration process keeps a lot of
> issues at bay, so as the requirement in the Fedora Project channels, to
> be registered.
>
> I have a suggestion to make though. If you believe it is hard for users
> to join/register for freenode, why don't you make a few new wiki pages,
> with GUI screen shots, to help new users ? IMHO that would be a better
> approach to take, we could then link them from the get-help pages.

The get-help page is here:
  http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help

It actually contains a text paragraph on how to connect to IRC, but
really that ought to be a link out to a wiki page that people can
maintain more easily.  That wiki page is probably here:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/IRCHowTo

It could use some updating, and it should stay oriented on a GUI
program, which tends to be easier for new users.  I like irssi too but
I wouldn't send a first-timer to it.

So the steps to fix this issue would be:

* Update the wiki page
* Ask the websites team if they'll accept a patch for that section on
  the get-help page, and why
* Use the instructions here to send a correction to the websites team:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_fix_bugs_on_the_Fedora_Project_website

Justin, interested in working on this?