[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 14 16:10:57 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-14 09:54:30 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The get-help page is here:
>   http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help
>
> It actually contains a text paragraph on how to connect to IRC, but
> really that ought to be a link out to a wiki page that people can
> maintain more easily.  That wiki page is probably here:
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/IRCHowTo
Unfortunately, we lose easy translations if we link out to the wiki with
instructions like these.

For what it's worth, I think requiring registration to enter #fedora is
a pretty big barrier for new users - for example, try finding an
official-looking Chinese language document that shows you how to
register on Freenode (this is assuming that the person actually figures
out that they need to register with Freenode).

Unfortunately, spam was apparently a big issue back with #fedora was
open to unregistered users.  I wonder if this can be reevaluated at any
point in the future though...

Thanks,
Ricky