[Ambassadors] registering your nick to get into #fedora

Ricky Zhou ricky at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 14 16:19:15 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-14 12:10:57 PM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> For what it's worth, I think requiring registration to enter #fedora is
> a pretty big barrier for new users - for example, try finding an
> official-looking Chinese language document that shows you how to
> register on Freenode (this is assuming that the person actually figures
> out that they need to register with Freenode).
Er, reading this again, I just realized that a Chinese person would
probably want (the non-registration-requiring) #fedora-zh anyway :-)

The point is that it's easy for somebody already looking for support in
the first place to get frustrated when they have to jump through another
hoop to get there.

Then again, I guess the situation might not be as bad as I think, since
unregistered people get bumped to #fedora-unregistered, where people can
walk them through the steps of applying.  Not sure what kind of data
there is on the effect of requiring registration.

Thanks,
Ricky