[Ambassadors] Reminder: NA FUDCon - Ambassadors decision meeting tonight

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 14:39:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 8:17 AM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Just a reminder that we will be meeting tonight in #fudcon-planning to
>> discuss the proposals for NA FUDCon, per the mail I previously sent on
>> the topic, at 9pm eastern, 6pm pacific.
>
> We had a fairly productive meeting last night, and while both bids
> were very similar in terms of location, accommodations, and planning,
> the participants in the meeting voted for Blacksburg over Olin at
> approximately a 2:1 ratio.

The vote during the meeting as documented in the logs was 5:1 in favor
of Blacksburg and there were two more late votes cast shortly after
the meeting ended which were also for Blacksburg. While that can be
construed as overwhelming sentiment in favor of Blacksburg I would
mention that it was a small number of people expressing an opinion and
at least for me I found choosing a preference to be difficult as there
was clearly a lot of work and effort that has gone into the Olin bid
and it has many good qualities.

I find this to be one of the unfortunate parts of the new process for
picking FUDCon locations. Creating a good bid requires a lot of work,
choosing between multiple good bids requires a lot of work, and
disappointing people who have done a lot of work isn't any fun. I hope
the overall process and increased community involvement is a recipe
for improving the bids and making for a better FUDCon in the end. That
way any disappointment can be tempered with a little satisfaction from
knowing you contributed to a process that is creating a better FUDCon.

> I'll accept further input (in case some people weren't able to make
> the meeting last night), and announce a final decision tomorrow.

John