[Ambassadors] [X-post] Attention: Ambassadors from India

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 04:54:11 UTC 2011

hello,

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 13:59 -0600, Neville A. Cross wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 17:24 +0530, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > I am not saying I want everyone to participate in the freemedia program.
> > However, I (and a few more of us) had until recently assumed that any
> > ambassador would by default be a local contact. How are you an
> > ambassador if someone in your area cannot obtain fedora from you? With
> > 4-5 of us signing up for the local contacts program, this understanding
> > has changed.
>
> I think that Freemedia is a wonderful program. I see Freemedia as Fedora
> Project Infrastructure giving the opportunity to people around the globe
> to act locally and hopefully creating bounds.

+1 . However, without generalizing, the free media program in India does
not create any bonds, mainly because we send out media by post, and once
it is sent, the collaboration ends. This is why I'm trying to revive the
local contacts program where requesters will physically get to meet
ambassadors, thus greatly increasing the chances of better
collaboration.

> I will love that every ambassador sing up for Freemedia. Even better if
> every single fedora collaborator sing up for Freemedia. Yes, I am a fan
> of Freemedia.  But, it is important to stress that Freemedia does not
> requiere to be member of any other team. The same happens with
> ambassadors. I believe that any ambassadors will give away a media, but
> it is not part of their duties. We expect ambassadors to collaborate
> time, not medias.

I see the Ambassadors duties as "spreading fedora". If you have the time
and the opportunity to go out and talk about fedora, nothing can be
better. But, if you don't have the time, or are just not doing this,
sending out two media per month for the free media program isn't a lot
to ask :) From an ambassador's point of view, it's like a convenient,
fall back plan for spreading fedora if you are unable to use the other
channels to do so. :)

> The frase that I always repeat with Freemedia is: "Freemedia is a
> voluntary program, please do not spend more than you can afford"

Yes. Our slogan is "Two media a month" :)

I do notice that the discussion is being limited to freemedia. It is not
the intention. I was merely reminding ambassadors to carry out their
duties *however* they can. The free media program I brought up was just
an example because I sometimes see very few ambassadors spreading fedora
by talking/events/etc., and also not helping in the free media program.

--
Thanks,
Regards,

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/