[Ambassadors] FAmSco meeting 2011-12-14 minutes

Clint Savage herlo at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 15 02:44:16 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2011, inode0 wrote:
>
>> introduction of APAC members has changed the dynamic but FAmSCo needs to
>> figure out how to cope effectively with that fact of life.
>

> A few months ago, I sent out some of my thoughts of what I thought FAMSCO
> should think about and do in the coming year.
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ambassadors/2011-October/018319.html
>
> Reading this thread brings me back to that email, in particular the part of
> it where I talk about having a strong focus on identifying key Ambassadors
> in each region of the world, and in connecting potential Fedora contributors
> in those regions of the world to the global Fedora community.

Thank you Max, for some good ideas. I think the ideas you list are
definitely valid and very apropos. We've already discussed some of
them when we were in townhalls, so it seems very relevant.

> Sidestep the timezone problem by ensuring that the majority of what FAMSCO
> members are doing is working with, and providing a leadership presence, in
> their own region.
>

> But what do I work on, you ask?  Again, I reference you back to the 4 main
> categories that I discussed back in October.
>
> Use the mailing lists (this one as much as possible, but also the famsco
> list) to share the key points of what is going on, and come up with a way to
> get status updates pushed out to the list, rather than in an IRC channel.
>
> It will lead to more discussion, better discussion, and a larger group of
> engaged Ambassadors.

> So then what do you do with the FAMSCO meetings?
>
> One of several things:
>
> * An open conversation for anyone who wants to show up at that time, FAMSCO
> or non-FAMSCO.
>
> * A chance for a subset of FAMSCO to work together on a single topic.
>
> * An opportunity to lock down a fixed time each week during which a Red Hat
> contact is available to focus entirely on FAMSCO issues.
>
> etc.

In our conversations about scheduling a time, I suggested that the
majority of our communication would be by email. Although we should be
attending at meeting times to which we agreed, it should be more of a
response to the discussions we've been having in email from the
previous weeks discussions. The meetings could and should also serve
as a Q&A period for ambassadors

> My point is, all the tools exist for FAMSCO members to collaborate strongly
> together outside of IRC.  Try it -- but try it in an organized and simple
> fashion by choosing one or two things to start with -- and change the
> culture of FAMSCO so that the mailing lists and the wiki are more important,
> and visible, collaboration points than any one IRC session.
>
> This is easy to say, and hard to do, because it breaks the habits that
> FAMSCO has fallen into over the past few years.  That's why I'd say start
> small, prove that it can work, and grow.
>
> --Max

Thank you Max, for the strong encouragement, input and leadership over
the years. I for one always appreciate the input you provide.

Cheers,

Clint