[Ambassadors] Survey: Red Hat Certifications/Training for FAms (Just 2 or 3 minutes required)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:18:12 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 29.12.2011, 02:15 +0530 schrieb Uditha Bandara
Wijerathna:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I've just created a survey to collect information from ambassadors
> regarding RH certifications and Fedora Training.
> This is a small survey and please spend few minutes to complete it. :)
>
> The idea behind this survey is to collect information from ambassadors
> about their desire to learn Fedora and get certified from RH.

I think these are two completely different topics in various ways.

On the one hand we have Fedora, on the other Red Hat. Although they are
related, they are not the same. People often fail to see the difference
and think that Fedora is just the Beta of the next Red Hat Enterprise
Linux. This is not true: Fedora is what we make it. It's not only
software but a world wide community. Everybody can get involved and
every contributor can change Fedora. This is not the case the RHEL.

And then there is the difference between information or documentation
and certifications or training. Documentation is for users and when we
study it to improve our skills, we do it for ourselves. Certifications
on the other hand has a commercial value. If you are certified, you can
find a better job and get a higher salary.

Long story short: I think we should focus on Fedora and on
documentation. I am sure the docs team welcomes some helping hands and
working on documentation will also help the ambassadors as they get more
understanding of the technical details of Fedora. It's a win-win
situation for both teams, but IHMO it has only very little to do with
RHEL or certifications. Lets not confuse this and improve one thing at a
time.

Regards,
Christoph