[Ambassadors] Pictures from FOSDEM 2011

Jukka Palander jukka at devspain.com
Tue Feb 8 14:11:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 14:51 +0100, Bert Desmet wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro>
> wrote:
>         On 02/08/2011 03:07 PM, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>         >
>         > Awesome! If I happened to be there at the Fedora stand, man,
>         I'd make sure every visitor had a CD. :D
>

>         The visitors were taking the CDs like... hot cakes :) our
>         Ambassadors
>         gave the discs until eventually we went out of stock... at the
>         end of
>         Sunday the table was practically empty. On this metric I think
>         it was a
>         success.
>
> what I don't totally understand is why
> 1. people take so much media and swag (I mean, you could already
> download F14 a long time ago)
> 2. why not more people are interested in becoming a contributor
> (although some were), especially at an event like FOSDEM, which is
> geared towards talented open source people.
> something to think about.
>
> cheers,
> Bert

Agree.

Event was FOSDEM so people should already know what Linux (and Fedora)
is!

Therefore I think that at least half of the media was taken only because
"people take everything what they can".
Well, OK, maybe that's the way to make Fedora more known, but is it
right we give away media which is (maybe) never ever going to be
installed?

Should we hand out those only after talking to them about Fedora and
only when someone is really interested to have (and try to use) one?

Procedure on the event should be more like:
1) "..may I show you the latest Fedora and its functionality.."
2) "What do you think? -great?"
3) "Would you like to try it by yourself on your own computer?"
4) Hand out the CD/DVD

--
Jukka