[Ambassadors] 1 Desktop spins DVD vs. 4 Desktop spins CDs ?

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Wed Feb 9 09:06:52 UTC 2011

On 02/10/10 12:59, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 02.10.2010, 11:51 +0200 schrieb Mathieu Bridon:
>> Hi Sascha,
>>
>> On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 11:34 +0200, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
>>> Hello friends,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to know about your opinion, if we should consider
>>> replacing the current 4 CDs of Desktop spins media production with the
>>> 1 DVD which contains all 4 spins?
>>> Maybe even with F14 ?
>>
>> I think ambassadors (and more generally people) can generally produce
>> whatever media they see fit.
>
> I don't think so. Whatever we distribute needs to be an official "Fedora
> product", and this decision needs to be mutually by all involved
> parties: The Spins SIG, Rel-eng and the board (hope I didn't forget
> somebody).
>
>> Now if your question is « should the official spin become a DVD with the
>> 4 main desktops ? », then you are on the wrong list to discuss this.
>
> +1. Once the media is ratified by all other groups, we should seriously
> consider to ship it. I really like the idea but we cannot decide this on
> our own.
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

It raises an interesting question though, especially for the EMEA
region. At least for Europe, DVD drives have been standard in laptops
since around 2003, desktops probably a bit later. And, I just checked, a
DVD drive dual layer writer even, can be picked up for £11.99.
So, now the question is, are DVD drives common in Africa and the Middle
East, are they affordable, if not we should stick to a split order of
media, however, maybe with reduced CD volume orders, which we mainly
ship to Africa and the Middle East, if required.
This would probably also allow us to reduce costs on dvd production
orders, allowing for a larger media order.

Any thoughts on this ?

I personally would prefer to see a dual layer media as was discussed
some time ago. What happened to that alternative ? Did the anaconda
folks give any feedback on such an option ?

I might have missed the outcome of the discussions at the time, so I
would be grateful for enlightenment.

Regards,

Tristan
--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org