[Ambassadors] Ambassador Group Role for 2011 - was [FAmSCo] almost done with current year's budget

Jesús Franco tezcatl at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 14 06:17:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011 11:09:05 +0100
Joerg Simon <jsimon at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> requote;
>     * Example: Mentorship
>     * Example: Helping users become contributors
>     * Example: raise the role of the Ambassadors as a first point of
> contact for new Contributor on our Media, Website...

IMHO, the best way to accomplish all of this is encouraging the sharing
of knowledge among contributors. In the Foundations page says: "Be
excellent to each other". A few weeks ago, many people said what they
wanted to be teached, just a few said "i'd like to share this, i know
just the basics, but we can go together."

Fedora Classroom *not* needs more support, it's a way to support *our
own project* in Fedora, letting others learn how to contribute in our
tasks. I don't know of any other project more able to drive more users
to contributors teams, or get actual contributors to get able to go
through more bugs/tickets. And, about Ambassadors goal of guide more
contributors to the project, the best way to know what team/tasks in
Fedora people fits better.

It's my not-so-humble opinion. Helping it is not about marketing,
branding, or cool-design. It's about *Mentorship*. Not the formal
Mentorship to approve a membership request, but something like internal
*outreach*.

Maybe some talks with a little bit of actual how-to get there.
Yesterday i attended to a Debian release party, a couple of developers
did go and some people talked with them. The best reply to howto become
actual contributors was: "Ask in mentors mailing list". This is what i
don't like: gentle forwards to RTFM.

A Fedora Ambassador should understand the generalities of the work in
our subprojects, in order to guide every people to their right place.
By this POV, Tatica was an excellent mentor since she challenged me to
help first, through it understand Fedora, then become a recognized
contributor.

No, i'm not suggesting again the rise of barriers, read again if this
is not clear.
--
Jesús Franco  https://we.riseup.net/tzk
http://identi.ca/tzk