[Ambassadors] Another subtle blow on Software Freedom?

Onyeibo Oku twohot at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 13 18:59:48 UTC 2011

On 01/13/2011 07:28 PM, Frankie Mangoa wrote:
> hi,
> there is another option.
> we use partition magic withing windows to create the partition..
> that is reduce the windows space.
> after that install fedora.
> worked for me but can not guarantee works on all machine as i did it once.
>
> thanks.

Anaconda wouldn't accept that in my case.  Options for resizing
partitions abound ... Windows-7 lets you shrink its partitions (Bill's
guys can copy too).  I often install fedora from a flash drive and I
make sure gparted is installed for this purpose.

The problem is not in the creation of space, but in making the system
see the extra partition -- the one created above the standard
provisions. One can only have four(4) standard partitions OR three
standard ones and an extended partition (that can take more logical
drives).

These days, machines ship with all four in use.  Usually, the
manufacturers' tools are in the first, followed by the OS ... so
appending extended partitions were effortless.  These days, the
manufacturers put their tools in the last partition and you can't extend
a sandwiched partition.

If LVM drives can live in sandwiched free spaces, then that's cool but
it didn't work in my case.

--
Oku Onyeibo
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/user:twohot