[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 04:00:05 UTC 2011

On 07/02/2011 11:19 AM, Gerard Braad wrote:

> I think they have started to realize the options of hosting a FAD. At
> least this FUDCon bidding has fueled a lot of opportunities, although
> the involvement of Red Hat China has always been minimal until the
> FUDCon. Hope this has changed in a permanent way.

I think the need for Red Hat China to be more involved has been
highlighted more than once and while I don't particular like competing
within the community via the bidding process,  if this results is better
participation and support,  it is a good thing.  I would note that just
having a Red Hat office nearby has never automatically resulted in
outpouring of support to community activities.   Some offices are large
enough and end up having someone or even a few more in the right
position to champion Fedora and other community activities but I know
several don't and you will have to rely on Comm Arch team to get things
moving.  If a particular Red Hat office has only sales but no
engineering, the chances are that it isn't setup to support a broader
community for instance. I understand local support is more ideal but we
can't always afford to wait for that.

> About the travel costs... yes... But I also wonder why this budget for
> APAC is smaller than EMEA or NA for instance. The costs for travel to
> APAC is generally more expensive, while service costs (food, hotel,
> venue) is usually less. At least for China it is.

I don't know the rationale behind it either.  I could speculate but it
is just better to ask in the events planning list

Rahul