[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 4 05:53:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> About the travel costs... yes... But I also wonder why this budget
>> for APAC is smaller than EMEA or NA for instance. The costs for
>> travel to APAC is generally more expensive, while service costs
>> (food, hotel, venue) is usually less. At least for China it is.
> I don't know the rationale behind it either.  I could speculate but it
> is just better to ask in the events planning list

There are a few reasons why the budget for the APAC and LATAM FUDCons is
a bit lower than the NA and EMEA FUDCons.  Most of it has to do with the
purchasing power of the USD around the world and the size of the FUDCon

* NA and EMEA FUDCons have been happening longer, and tend to be larger
events in terms of the number of people who attend.  This makes
everything related to logistics cost a bit more.

* The EMEA FUDCons have a larger budget because the Euro is expenseive
compared to the dollar.

* The NA FUDCon is always the largest one in terms of overall size, and
it gets a bit more money.

* In all cases, if a FUDCon is being planned transparently and the
budget needs are clear, if more budget is needed, we'll find that extra
money.  $20k for NA and EMEA and $15k for LATAM and APAC is a relatively
firm guideline, but not without flexibility.