[Ambassadors] Los Angeles Fedora User | Ambassador Hopeful

Christian Bryant christian at linux.com
Thu Jun 9 22:17:23 UTC 2011

I am a GNU/Linux engineer specializing in advocacy and release management for collaborative GNU/Linux development. Fedora with GNOME is my default desktop environment for development, build, test and release activities.  I also work with the Sugar Learning Platform on a Fedora spin I created for demonstration of the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) XO netbook Sugar desktop.

I create customized GNU/Linux implementations demonstrating minimal, development-oriented packages with inherent configuration management. I work only with free software on these projects and future plans include supplementing my GNU/Linux builds with GNU/Hurd once the Mach kernel is mature and implementing an Emacs Lisp interface to provide custom GNU/Hurd build tools for software release managers interested in creating secure, configuration-managed servers for free software development teams.

I also have an interest in philanthropy and non-profit organizations.  Because much of the software I use in my work is GNU and associated with the Free Software Foundation (FSF), I volunteer with OLPC to learn more about how GNU and FSF can most benefit philanthropic causes.  Over the course of my career, I hope to understand how philanthropic organizations work and eventually form my own non-profit organization to meet the needs of a community under stress using humanitarian FOSS.
I chose Fedora years ago since my first GNU/Linux distribution in the 90's was Red Hat.  Though I've worked with many distros over the years, Red Hat and Fedora have always been my go-to systems.  I joined the Fedora OLPC Special Interest Group as my contribution platform knowing my Fedora background and OLPC work would blend together well.  My personal goal is to create  fresh Fedora spins for use in my OLPC activities that other OLPC  contributors can use to demonstrate XO functionality at the OS level  without having an XO on hand.  At SCaLE 9x I used such a spin running in VirtualBox on Fedora 14 for demonstration  purposes while working the booth, making sure to note Fedora was at the  core of both my development system and the Sugar spin.

I've completed my initial steps toward becoming a Fedora Ambassador and await the approval process to commence once my chosen mentor commits his time.  I look forward to taking my relationship with Fedora to a whole new level.

Cheers,

Christian Bryant | Los Angeles, CA

At Fedora:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:christianabryant

At One Laptop Per Child:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:christianabryant

4096R/418C1BBA 39B5 C0D0 D57F 5FC9 11C8  7A01 8B2F 0A9F 418C 1BBA