[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 14:51:50 UTC 2011

Em Dom, 2011-06-26 às 15:21 +0200, Joerg Simon escreveu:
> On 06/25/2011 10:19 PM, Igor Pires Soares wrote:
> > Here are the links:
> > India bid: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:India_2011
> > China bid: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_Beijing_2011
> > Feel free to share your ideas, concerns and questions about both bids.
> > FAmSCo members will cast a vote on this until next Tuesday and then make
> > a recommendation for the next FUDCon APAC.
>
> i want to suggest to use a clearer metric to make such a important
> decission - the last decission making for FUDCon EMEA was done more on a
> subjective/feeling bases - and left some people behind with the question
> - why. Just +1 or -1 seems not enough!
>
> We already had a more clear decission-making in 2010 with the decission
> for the last FUDCon Panama 2011 where some concerns about Panama occured
> from other countries inside LATAM - but with some simple components to
> consider we could provide a good base for our decission - pro Panama.
>
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?hl=de&key=tJN3ZgmqZ07GujYrcvUz-LQ&authkey=CM607IkH&hl=de#gid=0
>
> From the reports - i see the FUDCon Panama was a good Event and the
> decission right. So in the LATAM Case we could proof that the Panama Bid
> is solid enough even if they did not had the highest score - but
> combined with the subjective facts to consider the decission was
> transparent.
>
> FAmSCo please provide a clear base for your vote on the FUDConBids in
> APAC! Feel free to improve the components listed in the spreadsheet by
> things like "Visa Affairs", "expected Community growth in that region"
> etc. ...

IMHO opinion having a spreadsheet with metrics could be helpful, but I
would like that to be made by someone who knows the region really well.
Otherwise the numbers will be as subjective as any other subjective
aspect.

One of the things that helped for FUDCon Panamá was that we had some
bidders in the decision meeting sharing concerns about each location,
what helped the chosen one to work on the liabilities pointed out by
that time. This is basically what we are doing on this thread, and
certainly APAC bidders are reading it carefully.

If someone neutral from APAC could put a spreadsheet together, based on
the one provided by Joerg, it would be a nice to have in order to
support the decision. I would like to suggest an additional field
"community commitment to the bid" as one more aspect to be considered.
That was one of the main aspects we considered for FUDCon Milan, and I
think it is very important.

Igor Pires Soares
Fedora Ambassador (Brazil) - Member of FAmSCo
Fedora I18N/L10N QA
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Igor