[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 13:18:56 UTC 2011

2011/6/29 Joerg Simon <jsimon at fedoraproject.org>:
> i suggested a metric (based on some facts) in the first place as a first
> filter - i learned that this is not wanted by a majority - which is ok!

Joerg,

I want to say a little more about the spreadsheet because I don't want
anyone to think that it is unwanted. I really had two issues with the
spreadsheet and both can be overcome with some discussion.

When we were handed the empty spreadsheet to use with an earlier
FUDCon there was for example a column titled something like "Located
in LATAM" and of course all the locations proposed would be in LATAM
for the LATAM FUDCon so this metric must be something a bit more than
just being located in LATAM. But we had no idea what that metric was
supposed to be measuring. That was a problem we ran into in several
places. So maybe some footnotes for each column explaining in more
detail what the metric in that column is supposed to be capturing
would help others feel more comfortable using it.

So issue #1 was largely that we didn't understand how to gather the
information necessary to plug numbers into the spreadsheet when not
understanding what each column was really intended to measure.
Education can solve this issue.

The other worry I have is that we don't get too mechanical in our
selection process. There are subjective and intangible elements to
FUDCon bids that are important and that are hard to attach meaningful
numbers to. But the combination of the spreadsheet (once we all
understand how to use it correctly) plus an attachment discussing the
other elements I believe could be a nice output from the process.

John