[Ambassadors] FUDCon APAC bids

Ben Williams jbwillia at math.vt.edu
Wed Jun 29 13:34:29 UTC 2011

On 06/29/2011 09:18 AM, inode0 wrote:
> 2011/6/29 Joerg Simon<jsimon at fedoraproject.org>:
>> i suggested a metric (based on some facts) in the first place as a first
>> filter - i learned that this is not wanted by a majority - which is ok!
> Joerg,
>
> I want to say a little more about the spreadsheet because I don't want
> anyone to think that it is unwanted. I really had two issues with the
> spreadsheet and both can be overcome with some discussion.
>
> When we were handed the empty spreadsheet to use with an earlier
> FUDCon there was for example a column titled something like "Located
> in LATAM" and of course all the locations proposed would be in LATAM
> for the LATAM FUDCon so this metric must be something a bit more than
> just being located in LATAM. But we had no idea what that metric was
> supposed to be measuring. That was a problem we ran into in several
> places. So maybe some footnotes for each column explaining in more
> detail what the metric in that column is supposed to be capturing
> would help others feel more comfortable using it.
>
> So issue #1 was largely that we didn't understand how to gather the
> information necessary to plug numbers into the spreadsheet when not
> understanding what each column was really intended to measure.
> Education can solve this issue.
>
> The other worry I have is that we don't get too mechanical in our
> selection process. There are subjective and intangible elements to
> FUDCon bids that are important and that are hard to attach meaningful
> numbers to. But the combination of the spreadsheet (once we all
> understand how to use it correctly) plus an attachment discussing the
> other elements I believe could be a nice output from the process.
>
> John

Guys, i have been sitting back and letting everyone plead their cases,
it looks to me that both places have there +'s and -'s
at this point i think it comes down to a coin flip.

and I think that it is up to the APAC Ambassadors to come up with a
recommendation ASAP and give that to the FPL NOW

HopeFully there will be more FUDCons in the Future for APAC so whomever
doesnt get the bid this time already has a headstart on the next bidding
process.

Ben